BMC FootPrints Asset Core / BMC Client Management Update
BMC Software released the latest update on BMC FootPrints Asset Core. This takes the release to the much awaited version 12 to follow on with the sister product of BMC FootPrints Service Core. Both products in the FootPrints Suite are now on version 12.
In addition to the version upgrade, BMC is renaming the product to BMC Client Management.
BMC Client Management (BCM for short) also integrates with BMC RemedyForce and/or Atrium Product lines.
SCAP (Security Content Automation Protocol) is a specification established by the National Institution of Standards and Technology (NIST). It consists of a suite of specifications for standardizing the format and nomenclature by which security software communicates information about software flaws and security configurations.
- SCAP Compliance is part of BCM Compliance Management
- Wizard driven as needed
- Manage SCAP packages (security checklists), typically of two varieties (CVE and CCE). These packages contain the compliance tests and verification
- Imports, validates, deletes packages as needed
- Set alerts for non-compliance for device or device group
- Creates, modifies and activates SCAP jobs
- Assign devices and device groups
- Assign schedule
- Set rule exceptions
- Examine applied rules
- Results dashboard and reports
- Lists view allows you to import downloaded CVE and CCE lists
- Alerts view show existing alerts and add new alerts
Operational rule usability and GoTo logic
- All steps that perform any type of verification, for example, check for a file, are grouped.
- Rule parameters are now organized on three tabs according to their usage.
- Verification and stop conditions are more readable.
- If-then-else logic
- Go to any step
- Steps can be defined later
- Rules now ensure that path, file, user parameters are correct.
- IPv6 is supported in both IPv6 only networks, and in mixed mode environments. Communication will be attempted on
both IPv4 and IPv6 if one fails.
- Agent communication, the console, topology, reports and many more items have been updated to support these addresses.
- Scheduler now includes a summary that displays the defined schedule in natural language.
- The different parts of the scheduler become available as necessary when making specific selections.
Security profile wizard
- New security profile wizard to create, define and configure new administrators and administrator groups and their security
- Any two devices can now be merged, with the exception of critical devices like the master and relays.
- If a device is reimaged and reassigned, old records do not have to be removed.
- The data that is being merged will be clearly displayed, and various items can be chosen to overwrite or ignore.
Mass MSI import
- Groups of MSI files can be imported and have their MSI packages automatically created in BCM, via the agent interface.
- Reauthentication of the user is now automatic, the five minute timeout at user inactivity was removed.
- When installing an item from MyApps users do not need to provide authentication.
Asset custom fields
- A section for customized information was added to the device type. Here you can add individual fields that do not exist
but you require.
Custom device types
- Add and remove custom device types in the Financial Asset Management functionality.
Load testing and performance
- Console, database and file transfer mechanisms were optimized.
- New best practices sections for each database type in the Database Reference manual.
Direct access respects user permissions
- It is possible to configure BCM administrator privileges for a device.
- Access to files and registry can now be limited for administrators.
Additional web services
- Add attachments to assets
- Associate assets with users
- Add a field to an asset
- Get asset lifecycle status
New console download page
- Updated console login page to add device’s current certificate to the trusted store
- Applying a hot fix to BCM automatically updates all existing rollouts, to be sure new agents are properly updated.
- Possible to delete an object which has other objects assigned to it. Previously, you had to manually unassign objects before deleting something, now you can just override and delete at will.
- An option was added that allows you to exclude deprecated devices from Software Licensing.
- Fields were added to the User object, which can each be customized to import from whatever AD fields you want.
- The locations of the refresh and lock console buttons were modified to avoid locking your console when you are trying to get an update.
- You can now monitor websites or servers and create Service Core tickets when the site goes down if you have created an integration with BMC FootPrints Service Core (Version 12).
- The default value for the parameter Do you want affected devices to be assigned to the patch group? was set to no, as this setting caused too many devices to be patched, some of them completely unexpected.
- A new report was added for patching: Patch Job History.
- The Location field has become a dropdown field.
- It is now documented how to brand the company logo onto the OSD deployment splash screen, that is, what files need to be replaced and with what file type and size.
- Security profiles can now be configured to allow remote control on only some devices.
- The default value for the Save View parameter was changed to CSV file.
The new functionality available via this exciting feature rich release will provide more value for your IT Operation Management environment. The tight integration with BMC FootPrints Service Core automates business processes for you.
Please contact Onsoft Sales or Technical support for more information and upgrade assistance.